At Bob's Scuba, we offer a selection of sun shirts and rash guards that are both functional and stylish. While exposure protection gear is not absolutely essential for diving, these can be useful garments for any diver who spends a lot of time in the water.
Rash guards help to protect against sun exposure as well as stinging critters you might encounter during your dive. These garments can also make it much easier to get in and out of your wetsuit. Choose from a variety of top brands such as Akona, Scubapro. Henderson, Mares and Pro Blue in both long and short sleeve styles.
Benefits of rash guards and sun shirts
- UV Protections – spending a lot of time in the water can make you forget about the sun, and many divers and snorkelers often end up with painful sunburns as a result. Look for rash guards with UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) – either UPF 50 or UPF 80, depending on the level of protection you need.
- Rash Protection – seams in your wetsuit can rub against your skin and cause A rash guard provides a protective barrier.
- Getting in and out of your wetsuit – rash guards and sun shirts are typically made from materials like nylon or lycra, which can make it much easier for you to get in and out of your wetsuit.
- Added insulation – these garments, when worn under your wetsuit, can provide an added bit of insulation. In warmer waters, you may be able to get by with just a rash guard and your board shorts.
- Quick-drying – stay warmer and drier between dives wearing your favourite rash guard.
Tips for choosing a rash guard
- Rash guards are usually made from materials such as lycra, nylon, polyester or spandex. For the best in sun protection, look for ones that are rated with an SPF or UPF
- The best rash guards use flat-lock stitching. This means that the seams lie flat against your skin to avoid irritation.
- Rash guards are designed to fit snuggly; however, they don't need to be skin-tight if you find this uncomfortable.
- For more full-body protection, you may pair your rash guard top with rash guard leggings or opt for a steamer style that offers head-to-toe protection.
Contact Bob's Scuba Shop today.
At Bob's Scuba, we offer a range of products that will help you to look and feel your best on the water. Take some time to browse our selection of rash guards and sun shirts in our online store or contact our scuba experts today if you have any questions.